Dear friends, today was my first day back to work after being off for surgery. All I can say is it could have been worse. Yes, it was raining, cold and windy. Yes, I was tired by noon. Yes, I was
mildly irritable. Five o’clock finally came and honestly it was ok enough of a day for me to come up with a list of 10 things you can do to make your Mondays a little less sucky. You ready?
- Give your self 10 extra minutes to get ready and out of the door. This will entail setting the alarm and once it goes off, not using the extra time to sleep (no snooze button). It always seems Murphy’s Law is the law of the land on Monday’s so trust me on this one, set your alarm back just ten minutes. You will appreciate the extra time.
- Start leaving a five-spot in the console of your car. If by some small miracle you don’t use the extra 10 minutes getting to the starting mark, stop by your favorite coffee shop and treat your self to a latte’. Nothing says love like a warm cup of joe and what a lovely way to reward yourself for being on time.
- Wear something cute. My theory is simple: look nice feel nice (or at least better). If you are going to show up for work, show up for yourself first by making an effort. You may not go to the extent of dressing like a Hollywood stylist coordinated your closet, but what about a statement necklace, a favorite pair of earrings, or heck even a super chic dress.
- Don’t overindulge in food or liquor on Sunday night. Bloated and hungover is not a good way to be when starting the work week.
- Go to be at a decent hour. Everyone knows seven to eight hours are what you need in the beauty rest department. I know I feel better when I’m getting enough z’s and the opposite is also true. My body lets me know when I’m lacking sleep.
- Don’t schedule doctors appointments or other appointments that will interrupt your Monday. Focus on getting things lined out for the week at your job. Save the appointments for a day when you need a break from the office.
- On Friday leave yourself a to-do list in order of importance to help you organize your thoughts and actions on Monday. Consider this first: if you try to pile on too many objectives, you may never complete the list so think about limiting the number to 5 or 6. If you don’t finish all six, carry the leftovers on to Tuesday.
- Plan on taking a lunch break away from your desk. Often I like to meet up with my friend Nicole for lunch. It is almost always on Monday. It’s nice to catch up with her, and it also provides us with an opportunity to get away from the office on what usually proves to be a hectic day.
- Plan some me time after the workday. Binge watch your favorite show on Netflix or head to the gym to work out. I’m sure you can come up with something you enjoy and insert that idea here.
- No matter how Monday goes down remember what Scarlett O’Hara said. ‘Tomorrow is another day…”
Here’s to a great Tuesday friends.
Your fancy farm girl,